Skip to main content

On the memory of American Food #1

When I was younger I was fortunate to go one some wonderful family holidays, and because my dad needed a special diet we almost always had self catering apartments. This properly doubles the excitement of family holidays and it's probably why I'll still leap at the chance to go to a foreign supermarket. It's always ace, you see exactly what the local people buy, and how they value ingredients, ready made food etc..

Anyway, I spent two very, very happy 3 week holidays in Clearwater Beach in Florida, with a self catering unit. I in fact clocked up a 4 family holidays to Florida, the first to Orlando and we stayed in a hotel in international Drive, the 2nd in St. Petersburg. I've found memories, food and otherwise of them all.

From my first holiday, when I was 5 and my dad had been award a bonus I can remembered the following (I should point put nothing of the trip to Disney that was the point of it all) but I can remember food in buckets, fried chicken, ice cream and water that tasted of swamp water when you washed your teeth. I also remembered funny faced pancakes at The Ponderosa.

From the 2nd holiday to St. Petersburg  when we realised if you did crazy airplane changes and stayed in motels despite not having a car,  across the rode was a restaurant that we went to for Sunday morning breakfast. I remembered having stacks of 'dollar' pancakes, with warm pancake syrup in a tiny metal jug. I also went though a phase of eating cheeseburgers wherever I went, or spaghetti bolognaise, and due to the massive American portions not finishing them...

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)