Skip to main content

On returning to a past haunt

Recently, because of the wedding of a friend I found myself back in South Wales, this doesn't happen often if I can help it, but in between the other day and the last time I was there I'd lost my dad and I'd felt more hangs if hiraeth* then I'd care to remember.

Anyway, returning to Cardiff meant one thing to me, having lunch at the New York Deli, a small cafe, hidden away in an arcade in the city centre. My sister in law had visited the city and sent me and tagged both me and my husband in a photo of it, I was so choked up by to simple image because the reason I took my husband there when we were first dating, and he was a student in Cardiff, was because my dad often took me there for lunch. I'm not sure she knows this and it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, we powered down to Cardiff in enough time to get us there for lunch. We got lost and parked the other side of the city, having never really needed to park in city centre before, and walked through the shiny new shopping centres, slightly disappointed by the fact that it was almost a mirror image of a similar development in Aberdeen only a week before.

I had a pit in my stomach as we approached, what if it wasn't as good, what if it wasn't there, what if it I was closed, what if the bagel burgers weren't as I remembered and then we got there and everything was ok.

Everything, down to the cheese, and the posters, and the proprietress was exactly as I remembered it. Burgers were still impossibly to eat daintily and bar the addition of a twitter address (and I'm guessing a price increase or two)  nothing had changed, not even the menu - And I've never been so happy about that, ever.....

*Hiraeth is a welsh term for a home sick longing for something that may no longer exist.

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)