Skip to main content

Keepin' Healthy #gamedevdiet

At some point I'm sure I mentioned the dawning realisation that I needed to lose some weight, be a bit healthier and maybe find some hobbies that weren't so reliant on sitting in front of a screen. Pete is in the same boat, it turns out that living the Rock and Roll lifestyle isn't all that good for you.

So we brought some scales, Pete started running again, and I sorted out a new pass to the uni gym, and loaded up my EA Active Personal Trainer convinced she was going to yell at me. It wasn't doing an awful lot to help but baby steps.

That was last month, this month we're really giving it our all - Pete started keeping a food diary and we've both swapped to using the awesome LiveStrong website (http://www.livestrong.com/) that tracks and charts everything, and I mean everything. We've really cut down on alcohol, by swapping to non alcoholic beer (Becks Blue is nice, Bavaria 0,0 is really, really nice).

Pete's started climbing, he's brought a magazine and everything, and in a nice bit of symmetry Zumba Fitness classes have started up at Beaconside (you might have seen the infomercials). The trainer is very lovely, but she looks about 15 and I strongly suspect she's doing it as part of the GCSE PE Course work, and all the more power to her, classes of 40+ women (and a token bloke) at £4 a head can't be bad money making. I almost wish PE in school had had a bit more this kind of thing in it, I might have paid attention. It does however have the downside, All those Zumba-tastic Latino beats makes me hungry for Cuban Sandwiches and Mojitos. It's a bit more fun then Body Jam, my previous explorations into dance / fitness combos.

Having rediscovered fitness classes, and realising my favourite activities on the EA Personal Trainer involve punching thin air and pretending there's a punch bag in front of me (there's a reason I only use it with the curtains closed, it isn't a pretty sight for anyone walking past the living room) I've found a Kickboxing class on Monday evenings in what can only be described as 'the scary gym around the corner but I'm sure it's lovely when you get used to it'- and I might give it a go - and I'm hoping a mix of kicky-kicky (Monday) & dancy-dancy (Wednesday) might make a difference.

If I can find a yoga class on a Friday I'll be very happy, even if the last one I went to went a bit new agey at the end (it was clear the trainer was reading from a bit of paper, dispassionately and reliant on the fact we all had our eyes closed releasing energies that we wouldn't notice). It has to be more fun then just going to the gym, I did that the other day and I'd forgotten how dull it was.

Don't worry if this all sounds very sensible and grown up, balancing varied exercise and calorie counting, my next Avon order has with it a slim belt thingy, and there's a bunch of slim fast milkshakes in my office drawer and some adios in my handbag. It can't hurt right??

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)