Skip to main content

Perfect Overnight Oats Methods

I've been trying to cut down on spending money in work (sorry lovely Squeezebox) so in an effort to break up the monotony of making cup'a'porridge every day - and also the fact that only Tesco's sell it - I've started down the pinterst-tastic overnight oats train - in mason jars because they turn out to be super cheap from home bargains

Which also means I can now prep 5 day of breakfasts in one short Sunday night meal prep blitz (I'm making layerd salads in bulk too - not together, that would be weird)

Anyway - I've got it down I think after a few weeks of experiments


  • 1/4 cup of oats
  • 1/4 cup of skimmed milk
  • A tablespoon of chia seeds (I assume these have magic properties as every overnight oats have them - I get mine cheaply from home bargains)
  • 1/4 cup of 0% fat greek yogurt (I also get this form Home bargains - but one large tub does 5 jars for me and measuring it out is really hard - although I have a yogurt maker so I use that now)
  • Some fruit - dried or fresh, or a mix (e.g apple & sultanas)
  • Some spices if you think they will work (e,g, cinnamon or Aldi do a combo Apple Pie spice)
  • a squeeze of honey / maple syrup / agave suryp or something to counteract the very sharp greek yogurt
Once all that's in screw the lid on you give it a good shake and put it in the fridge until you need it - obvs overnight at least. The shake does appear to do wonders to it - it's a little less pretty then the first ones I made where there were visible layers - but what I do't get any more is the weird clumping of chia seeds that gown a little bit like frog spawn


This is also an attempt to make sure I use up all of the dried fruit etc that in the cupboard - I'm thinking squeezy fruit puree things might work too.. I'll report back.

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)