Skip to main content

This is the stuff they should teach in schools

Due to uneven classroom grouping I only ever did one term of 'food technology' in school (I did 3 of CDT so I'm a dab hand at badly cutting mdf with a band saw) - and that one semester was entirely pasta related (apart from a 'Easter' cake at the end which I dedicated to Kurt Cobain, which warranted a concerned word to my mother at the parents evening, my mother to her credit said the cake was delicious and she too was sad at the passing of Nirvana's lead singer)

Anyway in however many weeks of pasta related horrors (Pasta salads warmed by the musty school bus on the way home, a pasta stir fry that was never repeated) never did we actually make a decent pasta dish. Certainly not one to this caliber:

(adapted from a vegan friendly pinterest board - made un-vegan again but infinitely adaptable)
Serves 2

Fry an onion, or two in a big saucepan / saute pan
Add garlic - lots of it (5 cloves perhaps)

Once that's softened add:
2 cups of veg stock
1.5 cups of milk (any kind seems to work I use whole because I have a baby in the house and I can't be bothered to buy more then one kind - Pinterest says Soya works too, handy if you have a lactose intolerant sister-in-law like I do)
250g of  dry pasta - anything will do - a great chance to use up bits and bobs of pasta

If you want to add anything else play it by ear (anything that needs fried and softened like courgette before the liquids, anything that just needs warming through like frozen peas, spinach or left over chicken pieces after the liquid has been added)

Bring to the boil, and then reduce to a simmer.

Stir occasionally for the next 10 mins while the pasta cooks

mix in tasty, tasty delicious cheese once the pasta is cooked (or not if you're cooking for my sister-in-law) and a sprinkling of ground black pepper

Serve, Devour  

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)