Skip to main content

Meat Feast Weekend - Saturday Night

So, if last night was about something I'd been meaning to cook for ages, tonight is about nostalgia - a beef curry casserole I half remember from my childhood - which means I probably haven't had it properly in 20 years.

I thought I had it scribbed down in our notebook of recipes but I didn't - however unlike me, my mum was not a massive collector of cookbooks. She did however have this 80's gem (which I picked up in a charity shop in another fit of nostalgia - her copy moved to Barcelona with her)

One day I'll poach pears in grenadine and it will be the talk of the town
I was pretty sure the recipe would have originated from this book and I was spot on (my mum confirmed it, and explained it had gone through some changes over the years, which is why I remember sultanas in it).
What I had forgotten from my childhood was that butchers in markets don't keep the same hours as shops, so by the time I swung by at 3pm ish, on my way home through town the markets were all closing up, which means I ended up at the butchers counter in Tescos. I don't find supermarkets easy places to buy meat, especially as I usually need it in such small quantities, but I did also sort out a chicken to roast for tomorrows lunch.

The curry  was remarkably easy to make (I'd halved the quantities, so also halved the cooking time more or less - which gave me chance to have a bubble bath). I didn't have any sultanas, so I replaced them with prunes, which also made up for the fact I didn't have any mango chutney or apricot jam) I also had to make up a 'mild curry powder' since I haven't had premixed powder in the house for a very long time.

{Post Dinner Update}

It's weird, this tasted like no curry I've had since moving to the midlands, but it did taste more or less of the curry I remember from my childhood. It can best be described as a slightly more interesting beef stew - not a bad thing at all but an interesting reminder on how far assimilated other cultures cooking has come - Pete can make a selection of curries indistinguishable from a half decent restaurant -but I can't see this kind of slow cooked casserole becomes a staple in the Wearn household. Nicely I do have enough left for lunch on Monday.




Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)