Skip to main content

On eating alone

I've just come back from eating alone, it's not the first time, and I doubt it will be the last time. I'm a a premier inn with a brewers fayer attached. I'm here for work so I know I'll eventually get paid back for dinner, and I've already poked around the town - aldershot in this case, not that it would really make any difference to tonights experience I suspect - so I know there isn't really anywhere more exciting for food , well, there was a very nice independent Italian cafe, and the pasta a fellow lone diner had smelt amazing, but alas, it closed at 7 and I wasn't hungry then.

Anyway, so I'm resigned to eating at a brewers fayer, and to make my life easier, or maybe ease my lone dining experience, they include a copy of the pub menu in the hotel room. I've already been to tescos, I've got supplies (cider and popcorn for later). If I was with someone, my wonderful husband for instance, part of the excitement about eating out is looking over the menu, discussing options, maybe bargaining over choices so you can share something. It doesn't have to be romantic, even discussing a menu with a friend is all part of the fun of eating out.

So, having decided on a stodgy oven roasted chicken (my relationship with meat is something. I'll explain a little more in future I'm sure)  I walk across to the restaurant. I know what to expect, I'm no brewers fayere novice, and there's something comforting about chains, you know what to expect, which is all part of the appeal I suppose.

I've ordered my chicken, and my disappointing pint of strongbow - knowing fully well I've got excellent local cider in my hotel room - and as I'm waiting for food I look around. I can spot another lone diner, and older guy and then probably a bloke around my age comes in.

I'm not on the prowl or anything, but I'm suddenly struck by how silly, or I suppose British this all is, all around there are people sat, on their own, playing with phones, or completing crosswords on a table for 2or 4, which believe me even a table for 2 feels big on your own, when the ideal solution hits me, a lone diners section. A big friendly looking set of benches, the kind you see in German bier houses or wagamamas.

Wouldn't that be lovely, lots of lone diners chatting to each other, about well anything.

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)