Skip to main content

On the memory of American Food #2

I've spoken before about family holidays to Florida, and pancakes especially making an impact, but the really formative memory in my mind is the little things related to 2 successive family holidays to Clearwater beach. 


They are, in no particular order:
  • The gravy on a meat dish, possibly meat loaf, at a diner in Scientology laden Clearwater
  • Shopping in publix, where they had calculators attached to the shopping trolleys
  • Having jalapeƱos on a burger at an Irish-American bar on Island estates
  • drinking unsweetened ice tea from dimpled red plastic beakers
  • Eating front loops and the colour the milk went
  • Eating pop tarts in exciting flavours
  • Running across hot sands with Cubans sandwiches and black coffee for my mother's lunch
  • The marinara sauce on angel hair pasta at a restaurant across the road from the Tropicana Motel where we stayed.
  • Saltwater taffy, blue smurf & superman flavoured ice cream.
  • Key Lime Pie...
My birthday card from my mother this year - I remember picking up this  postcard in Florida

I should point out, these memories are so ingrained in my mind that I'm pretty sure heading back to Clearwater beach would cause flood of tears because I know it wouldn't be the same, things would have moved on and it may not be as good......

In fact just think about Clearwater Beach makes me cry....


(Part 1 is here)

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)