Skip to main content

On scanning menus

What's the first thing you do when your looking at a menu? I scan the menu for little green leaves, or little green v's, * or little green ticks. I'm not a veggie, but my husband is, and it's the first thing I checked for on a menu, even if I'm eating alone.

Why? Because I don't really like eating places that don't have a decent choice for veggies. There's a rough ratio I my head, one veggie main for every 3 meat ones. I'm not sure why but that generally seems fair. (I recall finding a pub in LIchfield once with 6 seasonable things on their menu, and 2 of which were veggie. both my husband aand and I were impressed, our eating buddies (also veggies) were not, but we still can't work out why.)

It probably boils down to this, in the 10 years I've know my husband, I've found veggie mains easy, fun and cheap to make**, and it disappoints me no end that the same culprits turn up time and time again on menus. If somewhere offering food doesn't bothering making an effort with veg, then they're probably not making that much effort on the meat or fish side either (I've only come across a few place where this hasn't been the case)

At least most places have gone away from the hideousness that was the green boarded veggie corner on menus.

I also recently found out that my husband scans menus for pancakes, because he knows they are my favourite breakfast /pudding. I <3 him...

* I do this even in veggie restaurants, I remembered getting really annoyed once or the choice avilabe to my husband until I remembered everything was veggie and the v's meant vegan.

**in Spain, once land of the surprise bacon in a dish the amount of veggie main courses on Menu Del Dia's has rocketed because restaurateurs have realisednit's cheap in these days of 'la crisis'

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)