Skip to main content

Great British Bake Off 2012 - Episode 1

Ok, so a new series of Great British Bakeoff has started. I'm not fanatical about it, I'm not that fanatical about baking (well, that may be a slight untruth), but having been uninterested when it first started but now I'm hooked - thats probably as much about the twitter community on #gbbo.

Anyway, they have my upmost respect for entering, and I can't ever make anything pretty enough at the best of times to ever think about entering anything like The Great British Bakeoff I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring about the contestants this year.

Contestants

Too early for any of them to make much of an impression - apart from the already departed Natasha and the master baker this week, whose name escapes me but the odd neckline on her top will confuse me for weeks.

There's a vicars wife,  a quirky Scottish one with glasses, one with perfect hair, a handful of blokes, one a student who says he bakes cakes after coming back from the club, one who looks like he played rugby in school - who made a very odd tomato upside down cake. There's others but they really haven't made any impression yet.

Challenges

Signature - Upside down cake - I've made a classics pineapple one,  in fact I made one for my birthday but I'm not sure I'd really mess with the classic mix. I can see pear working, but it is a tricky one to work with. It might be something to use the inevitable glut of pears we get from my veg box.

Technical - Rum Babas - I have a fear of yeast breads, well not a fear, I just don't get on with them. But I do like rum so maybe I should give these a go sometimes. Retro food is always good too.

Show stopper - 3D hidden design cakes - yeah, I'm lucky if my cakes look like cake all the way though sometimes and the planning on these was impressive. It also reminds me of when I made a heart shaped pink bread for something, and the slightly odd colour it all went.  Very glad this wasn't me.

Onto next week, and it looks like it's bread o'clock...

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)