Skip to main content

Great British Bake Off 2012 - Episode 2

Week 2 GBBO

Ok, it's week 2, I'm not watching this live, I'm a few days behind (it's Thursday) but I've not spoilers, just no community to snark with this week.

The idea of 2 days of bread baking does not fill me with joy, much as I love eating it I don't care for making it. I did buy a bread makers when I was tipsy once in Asda (aah, 24hr super markets) but we freecycled it years ago when my beloved kenwood came on the scene, since we only ever used the machine to make pizza dough.

I've long since relegated every type of bread making bar chappatis to Pete. He makes excellent pizza.

Contestants

I'm pretty sure there's people in this weeks episode they didn't even feature in the last one, like the bloke who collects recipes from magazines to cook with his son. He seems nice, but I've already forgotten his name. 

I'm sure Brendan being called a 'keen gardener' is a euphemism, who goes through breads of the world as a project, that's like people who cook ever recipe in a cook book in turn, that's weird.

Ok, someone else I didn't spot last week, Another medical professional, there should be some research into this, do they bake more then other professions? A woman this time (Danni?) Also, the bloke using a blow torch to cook bread is odd, I can see the idea behind it do love the way they've already using the empty tale let by last weeks loser. 

Challenges 

Signature - flat breads. To be honest, they all look nice, but I'd like to see them have to make a flat bread while they make dinner too...

I've just noticed, Mary berry eats things in an odd way...

Yeah for Oatcakes, proper staffs oatcakes. I really must try those at some point, or at least the beer.

Technical challenge - plaited loaves, glad that's not me. There's defiantly something blokes like about bread making, I've come across it a few times, and I've never understood it. Maybe it's the science aspect of it. Watching this technical challenge leaves me a little cold, but I feel for the vicars wife who can't plait.

Show stopper - See, I've made bagels, more then once, not in ages, I admit, but since they are my favourite type of my bread product in the whole big wide world ever so it only seemed fair. I'm not sure on sweet once, I mean I love cinnamon and raisin, but I'll happily lather them in goats cheese.

It took me two batches of bagels to work out how to make the hole I the middle so they don't fall apart in the poaching. I wonder if suddenly there will be an load of odd, sweet bagels in super markets, like you get with hot crossed buns these days.  

Just for once I was right, not surprised to see Peter not make it through. He looked jolly upset, poor guy. I hope his son will appreciate the sheer quantity of bread he's going to have to consume over the next few months....

Looking forward the tarts next week, I've made plenty of rubbish ones of thousand..





Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)