Skip to main content

Great British Bake Off 2012 - Episode 3

Dammit, I saw a Gbbo spoiler on twitter, so I know who was booted out...

But anyway, catching up..

Contestants

Victoria is a little odd, I bet she's a member of the local WI, or maybe she thinks she's above them, I don't know, I'm sure she's lovely, but. Can't warm to her. I love the vicars wife, sarah jane, and her lucky Pastry knife. I'm finding Kathyrn a bit odd, I've seen people like that camping, and that shot of her in a gilet explains a lot. The lads are lovely, especially last weeks Star baker, maybe...

Ok, here's my crib sheet for the identikit blokes:
PE Teacher - Stuart
Scottish one - James.
the other one, umm, Peter...

Challenges

Signature - tart tatin, I've had hit and misses with these, I love the idea of a savoury one, never though of that, especially taken with the pear and blue cheese one. I have however made plenty of rough puff pastry - miles better then the frozen stuff, although that has its uses. There's a interesting mix of tarts, but would caramel really work with the savoury one?

Aaah, that's where I've been going wrong, all my tart tatin have always looked an absolute mess. This is why I'd never go on GBBO, I really can't make things pretty even if it try.

It's interesting to see the mix of tins used to bake them in, I've always resisted the urge to buy a specific tart tatin pan, I've seen them for sale in France..

Technical challenge - treacle tart with a woven pastry top, this is pretty much my nightmare scenario. I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of doing anything pretty. I tried a lattice pastry top once but it all sunk into the fruit filling.

They all look pretty good. Aww, the soft spoken Scottish one came top. Still can't remember his name. (James)

Show stoppers - ooooh, massive fruit tarts, they must be sick of pastry by now. The only one I've made successfully was from the Ed Kimber book, but that was more of a torte I think.

There's a lot going  on with these. I'd quite happily eat them all.

Aww, I'm glad James got star baker, and while I'm still annoyed to have had the loser spoiled for me, i did agree, none of them looked great to me.

Tortes next week, I can make a torte...

Popular posts from this blog

It's only a bit of snow

Uni is closed, no idea if we're open tomorrow =(

How long before Foursquare suggests I may have a problem ;)

Pete and I went to Cosford

2011-03-27 12.52.30 , originally uploaded by wormella . Woot! Planes - who doesn't love a lovely free museum full of exciting planes, cause we do. And excellent Sunday afternoon day trip (we even managed to swing by Waitrose on the way home to pick up some yummy pies for dinner) - Which all happily coincided with the first proof of concept of a multiplayer game between me, Pete, Gaz and in theory dad, who has a far more exciting life then we do and therefore was busy and couldn't make it. And we've been playing this on Steam.. (feel free to buy it , add us on Steam and join us in the skies sometime)